Ah, Korean food. This dish is a favorite of mine and Tracy! For me, it’s a bit much to make at home so I normally will order this when eating out at a Korean restaurant. However, you can make it at home. You don’t need to make the hot stone pot version but it’s so much better if you do!
This recipe is from Seonkyoung Longest. She has some great recipes. Check out her site.
Author: Seonkyoung Longest
Serves: Serves 4
For Gochujang Sauce
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 oz. Fuji apple, roughly chopped (Approximately 3 Tbs.)
- 2 oz. Onion, roughly chopped (Approximately 3 Tbs.)
- ½ Tbs. Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Gochujang
- 1 Tbs. Lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. Mirin(Seasoned rice wine)
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Sesame oil
- Pinch of black pepper
For Marinate Beef (Or any protein you are using)
- 1 lb. beef (New York strips, Sirloin, chuck or rib-eye), cut into one bite size
- 2 Tbs. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. Mirin, seasoned rice wine
- 1 Tbs. Sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- Black pepper
For the Vegetables
- sesame oil
- 1 Zucchini, julienned
- 1 Yellow squash, julienned
- 3 Medium size carrots, julienned
- 1 (5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Korean mung bean sprouts or soy bean sprouts side dish (For the Recipe CLICK HERE)
- 1 cup Korean spinach side dish (For the Recipe CLICK HERE)
- 1 cup Korean radish side dish or Korean cucumber side dish (For the Recipe CLICK HERE)
- 1 cup chopped kimchi (For the Recipe CLICK HERE)
- 4 cups warm cooked rice (Short grain white rice or brown rice)
How to Make RiceCLICK HERE
- 4 eggs
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Let’s make Gochujang sauce first.
Combine all ingredients for gochujang sauce in a blender, food processor or hand blender; pulse until it becomes smooth textured sauce. Set aside until serving in a fridge.
- Now, let’s marinate beef. (You can use pork, chicken or tofu as well)
Combine all ingredients for marinating beef in a medium mixing bowl. Toss everything together and Let stand 20 minutes. Meanwhile preparing vegetables.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. We’re going to sauté vegetables from light color to dark color so the light color vegetables wouldn’t stain.
Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add julienned yellow squash and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Remove squash from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add julienned zucchini and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Remove zucchini from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrots and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Remove carrot from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan, keep warm.
- After cook all vegetables, finally time to cook beef. In the same skillet, add marinated beef; sauté 7 to 8 minutes or until cooked through, no more juices and slightly browned edges. Remove from pan, keep warm.
- Brush each stone pots with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil evenly. Place 1 cup of rice on the bottom of each stone pots. Arrange vegetables evenly around the edge and place beef right in middle. Heat stone pot bibimbap on a stove over high heat until you hear a sizzling sound.
- Meanwhile, Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil. Crack eggs into pan; Cook until whites are set to serve as sunny-side-up or until your desired doneness. Remove from heat.
- Remove stone pot bibimbap from heat and top with 1 egg and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil each stone pot. Serve with gochujang sauce.
- Eat by adding as much sauce as you or guests desire and mixing everything together.
You can use any seasonal vegetables, as well as raw vegetables(Cabbage, cucumber, kale and etc.). Play and mix and match vegetables for your taste!
You can make this same recipe for regular bibimbap. Instead of using stone pot, using shallow bowls and skip the heating process and serve right away.
Non Spicy Sauce
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil and seeds
2 Tablespoons chopped green onion
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
Combine all ingredients and mix well.