Another one from my Dad that he submitted for our Christmas 2016 edition of recipes. They’re all good ideas but I really like the poached egg one.Continue reading
Dad clipped this one from a magazine but not sure which one. Regardless, it’s a good recipe.
- One 1.5 lbs. salmon fillet or two 12 oz fillets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus about 1 tsp for the baking sheet
- Salt/freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb white mushrooms, rinsed briefly and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 – 4 garlic cloves, minced, to taste, minced 2 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, or a combination, ½ to tsp dried
- ¼ cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- Preheat oven to 300F. Cover baking sheet with the foild and lightly oil the foil. Place the salmon on top. Season with salt and pepper. Fill a roasting pan with boiling water and place it on the oven floor.
- Place the salmon in the oven and bake until the fish flakes and white bubbles of protein appear on the surface, 10 to 20 minutes, depending the size of the fillets. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms. Heat a large, heavy frying pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring or tossing in the pan, for a few minutes, until they begin to soften and sweat. Add the remaining oil, turn the heat to medium and add the shallots, garlic and herbs. Stir together, add ½ teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and cook, stirring often, for another 1 to 2 minutes, until the shallots and garlic have softened, and the mixture is fragrant. Add the wine and cook, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the wine has just about evaporated. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove from the heat.
Submitted by Grandpa Ed from the Healthy Eating cookbook from St Joseph’s Hospital
3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup oatmeal
32 oz Apple Pie filling or fresh apples
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in margarine until crumb forms. Add oats and mix well.
- Pat approximately half of the mixture in bottom of 9×13-inch pan and reserve half of the mixture for the topping.
- Combine pie filling, lemon juice, water, and cinnamon. Spread filling over crust. Top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake approximately 1 hour. Cut into 15 pieces.