In the first edition of the family recipe collection in 1998, Tracy put in her most loved recipes from our childhood. This is another good one that I continued to make after heading out on my own.
Like the Texas Hash, I made this for several years as my own family was growing but it’s been several years since I last made this one. I may have to give it a go in the near future.
- One round steak
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
For the sauce
- 1 can tomato soup plus one can of water
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut steak into 1″ x 3″ strips.
- Wrap each strip in a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick. D
- Dredge all pieces in seasoned flour.
- Heat covered pan with some oil and add the beef birds.
- Brown as much as possible on all sides.
- Mix tomato soup with water, brown sugar and onion and add to the pan.
- Cover and simmer at least 1-1/2 hours. Mom said to make the birds small so they are tender and so that the flavor penetrates.