Growing up in Wisconsin, this was one of my favorite meals. It’s just good comfort food.
After I was out on my own, I continued to make it from time to time. It’s been many years since I last made this so it was wonderful to have all the memories come flooding back as I was posting this recipe.
This recipe is part of the 1998 collection. Again, thank you, Tracy, for doing this for our family.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground round
- 1 or 2 green peppers – more is better in my opinion
- 1 or 2 medium onions – ditto from above
- 1 10oz can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- Chili powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground round until just about done. Add the coarsely chopped green peppers and onions. Cook so vegetables are slightly done.
- Add soup mixed with water and rice. Season with chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Simmer until done approximately one hour.
According to Tracy, this meal is only complete with a slice of white bread covered with a generous spreading of Blue Bonnet margarine.