I enjoy fried rice. This recipe is from Seonkyoung Longest and is a good one. I’ve slightly adjusted it to add in a few more veggies and a hint of sesame oil.
It comes together quickly so makes it perfect for a quick, delicious, and satisfying dinner (or lunch!). Enjoy!
Author: Seonkyoung Longest
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, beaten, seasoned with salt
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (approximately 1½ tsp)
- 1½ tsp chopped ginger
- ½ cup small diced onion (approximately ½ of medium size onion)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken thighs (approximately 4 to 5 oz)
- ¼ cup carrot, small diced
- 2 cups cold jasmine rice, or brown jasmine rice, recommended a day old
- ¼ cup frozen peas, optional
- 4 green onions, chopped
- sesame seeds for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare vegetables and mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil in a small mixing bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat; add butter and let it melt. Pour beaten eggs and scramble. While they are still soft, remove from wok and set aside.
- Into the same wok, add oil and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger, and onion, stir fry for 30 seconds or until onion’s transparent.
- Add chicken and season with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Cook about 1 minute or chicken is ¾ way cooked, then stir in carrot and cook for a minute.
- Add rice and pour sauce mixture. Keep stir and tossing until every grain of rice is evenly coated with sauce, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas, green onions, and scrambled egg. Stir and cook everything about 30 seconds to 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- You can substitute beef for the chicken.
- You can also omit the meat and make it a vegetarian dish.
- Another nice addition is adding a potato diced small.
- A handful of corn is another good addition.