My sister, Tracy, submitted this recipe as part of the 2018 Christmas collection. I gave it a try and it is an easy and very tasty recipe! Like many things when it comes to cooking, this soup was even better the second day!
Tracy snagged this recipe from the website called The Stay at Home Chef. Rachael’s site has a bunch of good sounding recipes. Follow the above link for more from her.
PS: This recipe and a video on how to make it can be found by clicking here.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream half and half, or milk
- 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and minced jalapeno and sauté for about 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, and chili powder and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock until smooth and bring to a boil.
- Add in the corn, sugar, and salt. Once it returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cilantro. Serve topped with crumbled bacon, cotija, and jalapeno slices.