This recipe showed up in my inbox in early 2018. I don’t remember the source but pretty sure it was from my friends at the Kitchn.
Anyway, this one really rocks! Easy to make ahead of time and finish is off while having a cocktail and visiting prior to dinner.
- 1 pound medium shrimp that have been shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅓ cup minced shallots
- 1 ⅓ cup dry orzo pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies and chipotle peppers (I used RO*TEL)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt and pepper and 1 clove of pressed garlic and set aside.
- In a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the canola oil. Add the minced shallots and garlic, and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring often so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the dried orzo pasta and continue to cook and stir, until the orzo is golden and smells nutty. Add the chicken broth, water, tomatoes with green chiles, cinnamon, lime juice, and cilantro, and cook until the orzo is tender to the bite, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes, then top with the shrimp.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the shrimp is done and the orzo is tender.
Pingback: Christmas 2018 Recipes | The Walczak Recipe Collection