- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons (or more) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cans green beans, drained
- 2 cans of sliced mushrooms, drained 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained 1 container of French fried onions OR Equivalent amount of gluten-free crackers mixed with 2 T melted butter
Prepare white sauce:
- Heat butter over low heat until melted. Blend in cornstarch, salt & pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.
- Slowly add milk while whisking to create a smooth sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Combine green beans, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and white sauce. Transfer to a 2 to 3-quart casserole dish. Bake uncovered at 350° for one hour.
- If the sauce is too thin, prepare additional thickener using cornstarch mixed with a small amount of water. Stir into green bean mixture until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Top bean mixture with French fried onions (or gluten-free cracker topping) and return to the oven. Bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes until topping is golden brown.