While visiting our dear friends Gary and Trisha in September 2019, they made us a fantastic fajita meal. It was fabulous! I mean these are probably the best tasting fajitas we’ve ever enjoyed!
Gary was kind enough to share their recipe with us. And, with their permission, I’m sharing it here. So, give it a try. It’s not hard to make and you’ll be rewarded with a blockbuster dinner!
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ chipotle pepper seasoning
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 6 skinned boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 pounds flank steak
- 20 (8 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 large onions, wedged
- 2-4 peppers, wedged (use yellow or red with green for sweetness and color)
- Additional toppings to complement the meal: Sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheddar cheese
- COMBINE first 7 ingredients.
- Stir mixture into dressing. Pour half of the marinade into a shallow dish or large heavy-duty zip lock plastic bag, add chicken.
- Cover or seal. Repeat the process with the remaining marinade and the flank steak. Chill chicken and beef for at least 2 hours.
- REMOVE chicken and beef from the marinade and replace with onions and peppers.
- GRILL, covered with grill lid, over medium heat about 15 minutes on each side or until chicken is done and beef is at desired degree of doneness. Allow to cool slightly for easier slicing. Meanwhile, cook vegetables in a large non stick skillet for 1-2 minutes so that they are slightly tender but still crisp.
- SLICE meats, toss with vegetables and serve on preheated fajita plates.
- HEAT fajita plates to 450. Fajita plates are not absolutely essential but they do add to the presentation and gives the fajitas that extra sizzle and flavor.
- Use 1 breast of chicken per person
- Mix twice the marinade for 3-6 people
- SQUEEZE a wedge of lime juice on each plate for extra sizzle flavor.
- SERVE with warmed tortillas and additional toppings.