I have 3 sisters. Jaymi is the middle sister and she provided this recipe for the 2019 edition of the family recipe collection. This is a simple and easy one to make. In reading it over, it sounds yummy and will be one that Colleen and I will give a try in the near future!
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and sauté for at least 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Then add cranberries, red wine vinegar, honey and lemon juice and zest. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the remaining olive oil and an extra pinch of salt, and massage kale with your fingers for 1 minutes until tender. Add in the cranberry/shallot mixture and almonds, and toss to combine. Serve topped with crumbled cheese.
- I’ll bet feta would work as well.