I do love Korean food! Curry rice is another favorite of mine.
This recipe is simple and fast. It’s so comforting especially during the colder time of year. Warms you right up!
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 pound boneless beef short ribs or chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2 small red or yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup (or more) mushrooms, cubed
- 1 cup (or more) zucchini, cubed
- 1 or 2 bell peppers – any color(s)
- 1/2 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet (100 grams) Korean curry powder (See Recipe Note)
- Diced chives, to garnish
- Steamed white rice, to serve
- Kimchi, to serve with it
- Warm the sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add in the boneless beef short rib ( or chicken) and diced onions, and sauté until the beef (or chicken) is nicely browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, water, and curry powder to the pot and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to a medium boil and let cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve over steamed rice and garnish with diced chives and with some kimchi on the side.
The Korean curry powder packet (I buy the Ottogi brand) can be purchased at any Asian market or Korean grocery store or purchased online.